[DeTomaso] CONDENSER UPGRADE SUGGESTIONS?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon May 28 16:06:41 EDT 2007

In a message dated 5/27/07 7:13:49 PM, fresnofinches at aol.com writes:

<< So, who has done what or bought what from whom?? I'm thinking in terms of
a parallel flow aluminum condenser and new, flat motor fan(s). >>

As mentioned, I use an aluminum Toyota mini-pickup condenser (from the
mid-'80s) in our '70 L that is identical in dimensions to the stock unit except for
being about 1/3 the thickness- $50 at a wrecking yard. It fit into the stock
shroud & hose hookups are identical flair fittings. Mounting consisted of
drilling 2 holes in the condenser's steel channel frame to take stock mount screws.
If you choose to move it to the front sometime later and discard the rear
mount & troublesome fan, the thinner condenser positions much simpler than the
too-thick stock unit.
Also as mentioned by various owners, the rear mount A/C system only works
well up to about 100 mph, and for most guys, the tub must be in place for it to
work very well at that speed. Faster than that, the air passing over the car
loops well behind the bumper and the A/C is therefore trying to suck air in from
a partial vacuum. Blown hoses often result. This may also be true for
Mangustas but thats only a guess (I blew an A/C hose on only one 'Goose at about 100
mph some years ago; very small statistical sample). Good luck- J Deryke
http://www.aol.com.</HTML>