[DeTomaso] Jets

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Tue May 22 17:41:52 EDT 2007

Wow!  Is that to the tires?  What's the rest of the combo?

When we did the dyno day in Houston, we saw very little differences between
2-3 jet sizes.  It took about 6 sizes before the A/F ratio moved.

In one case, we went 10-12 sizes larger, but the A/F was still lean.  We
finally suspected a fuel delivery problem - fuel pump, fuel sock plugged,
even tiny holes in the rubber lines.

On the other hand, I can tell a difference between 64's and 67's in the
primaries on my carb - cruising, not wide-open, with an Autometer A/F gauge.

Another thing I noticed was that if I had the idle circuit too rich, it
would overwhelm the primaries during tip-in.  To clarify:  I'm not running a
choke, so I kept the idle screws a little too rich.  It makes cold starts
easier.  I tried primary jet sizes all over the place.  I even got some
58's.  No matter what I did, it was rich.  Then, I adjusted the idle screws
to max vacuum.  It's only slightly harder to start, but the A/F gauge is
happy, even with 67's.

Will.