[DeTomaso] Jets

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed May 23 19:23:37 EDT 2007

In a message dated 5/22/07 2:40:53 PM, wkooiman at earthlink.net writes:
snip.....
<< When we did the dyno day in Houston, we saw very little differences
between  2-3 jet sizes.  It took about 6 sizes before the A/F ratio moved. In one
case, we went 10-12 sizes larger, but the A/F was still lean.  We finally
suspected a fuel delivery problem - fuel pump, fuel sock plugged, even tiny holes in
the rubber lines..... >>

FWIW, the stock ~0.30" ID fuel-out line from a Pantera gas tank will only
support about 450 real horses before flow restrictions cause high speed lean-out
no matter what other fuel-line additions are included. This's one more reason
I and many others are amused at claims of monster power with a stock DeTomaso
fuel delivery system. Above about 450bhp, all engines need at least 3/8" to
1/2" or even greater ID fuel lines including the inner tank line, out to the
pump and even bigger from pump to carb. Pro racers use dash-8 into and dash-10
AN lines out of the fuel pump. On an engine dyno of course, all this is sized
correctly for expected power levels, and unexplained drops in performance or
even engine damage after installation in your chassis is not unusual with a
stock tank & a big motor that actually gets worked hard.
And before the hate-mail comes in, yes- fuel injection with its 45-65 psi
fuel pressures can pull a little more than 450 bhp from a skimpy stock tank line
before running lean, especially if you're using an in-tank pump. But its best
to markedly increase the line size from inside the tank to the pump before the
engine is installed, since sometimes welding might be needed. Just a thought-
free at http://www.aol.com.</HTML>