[DeTomaso] Hoosiers-long

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat May 19 03:07:13 EDT 2007

IMHO, the main drawback of Hoosier DOT tires is, their rubber compounds
provide monstrous traction- and that translates into very rapid tread wear. A pair
on 10" rear wheels Judy and I ran for a time did as follows:
450-horse Pantera was driven sedately to autocrosses about 30 miles away
where the owner, myself and wife Judy ran it 3-4 laps each on what was usually a
60-75 second paved course, then the car was sedately driven home & parked until
the next event. Tires were rotated now and then. After 985 recorded miles by
the 3 drivers, a thin white streak of fabric was showing most of the way
around both rear tires! We barely completed the season without having to buy a new
pair. In the hotbed of prepared-stock autocross that was N. California in the
'80s, both ends of that poor Pantera were sliding all the time we were on
course! Note that I won two Regional championships, the owner won one and Judy won
4 (Womans Class), before we began getting paint cracks near the decklid &
windshield posts, and the car was retired from competition before the underlying
metal began separating.

More recently, Larry Stock of the Pantera Parts Connection currently runs
Hoosier DOTs on his do-everything red Pantera, and swears by them for SS running
above 150 mph (sometimes well above), low-speed autocrosses with the Nevada
SCCA and the occasional drive to work in semi-heavy traffic. His Pantera was the
fastest P-car at the  '07 'Vegas Fun Rally- on Hoosiers. He also sells
Hoosiers.
Bottom line: if you can afford  the rapid wear rate and have a chassis brace
system to forestall body cracks, they will likely work great for cars that are
actually driven hard. Just don't expect long life as well unless you drive
sedately & only want them as rim-protectors. To discuss all this with a real
user, browse to <larrys at panteraparts.com> for some right-now, real-life
experience with Hoosiers.
what's free at http://www.aol.com.</HTML>