[DeTomaso] High Volume Oil Pump?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed May 16 12:47:22 EDT 2007

Tom, most guys find that a stock pump works just fine unless you are running
a remote oil filter AND a remote oil cooler; then, due to flow restrictions
from long oil lines, sometimes a high volume unit is needed to maintain
pressure.  FWIW, I run both and still use a stock pump. True pressure at start-up
(cold engine) will be 75-90 psi, hot pressure @2500 should exceed 50 psi, idle
should be 20-30 psi. More than 90 psi can cause problems with oil filters and oil
coolers as they will sometimes rupture w/cold oil, so I recommend NOT using a
heavy spring in the oil pump relief valve- which is often the only difference
between a stock and a 'high-pressure' pump. I once blew a Wix filter clear
off the block at 6500 rpms w/a 'high pressure' pump, heavy spring & 50-wt race
oil....
You should verify the pressure readout- as with the stock water temp gauge, a
stock oil pressure gauge lies constantly. Add a tee fitting to the block
outlet, screw the stock sender into the side port and a cheap mechanical gauge
from Pep Boyz to the top. By comparing both gauges, this will give you a check of
the notoriously inaccurate stock electric gauge. FWIW, I once talked one
vendor into letting me 'borrow' a handful of senders for our '72: of nine (9)
brand new senders, ALL gave different values on the same engine and all were lower
than my $15 mechanical gauge! I picked the highest-reading of the bunch but
left the mechanical gauge on the engine.... since 1990, with zero problems.
IMHO, a stock gauge is best regarded as an 'idiot-light' to tell you the pump is
turning but no other accurate info can be gotten.
Second good idea: add an aftermarket pump driveshaft to the oil pump you
choose. Stockers are apparently made of old coat-hangers and will twist, then
break. A Moroso, Milodon or SVO unit of 4130-steel sells for $17 and will not
break or twist. Finally, an integral part of the oil pump drive is a double
thickness roll pin (or a piece of drill rod) in the distributor drive gear. Good
luck- J DeRyke<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> See what's
free at http://www.aol.com.</HTML>