[DeTomaso] Paint Code Pearl White for factory GT5-S

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Mar 21 00:05:01 EDT 2007

In a message dated 3/18/07 7 42 18, charlesmccall at gmail.com writes:

> They may have discontinued to manufacture that paint, but if we had the
> magic formula we could re-create it, right?
>
> All we need to know is "one part blue, 2 parts green, one part red, dash of
> newt, one frog tail..." and we've got the paint.
>
> Are those high-tech machines that "read" paint pigments capable of perfectly
> (or nearly so) determining its genetic make-up?
>

>>>I doubt it.

>From what I understand, pearl paints were originally created by shooting a
base coat over the primer, then an intermediate layer of pigment mixed with
crushed (powdered) pearls, followed by a top coat, and then clearcoat.   The
character of the pearls is what generated the pink and purple hues.   Now they use
synthetic replacements for pearls, but the process is the same.

This is literally an art form, more than a science.   Like I said before, you
need to find yourself a painter who does high-end hot-rod work....