[DeTomaso] VINs

Mark McWhinney msm at portata.com
Sat Mar 17 14:10:32 EDT 2007

>> This was done because the early cars were hand-fitted everywhere before
they were painted.   Things like the 'gills' behind the windows on each
side, all the door trim, etc. and so forth were all tweaked and filed and
whatnot by hand, then removed so the car could be painted.   They had to
have a way to reunite the parts with the cars afterwards.

>> I think later on, the pieces/parts became standardized enough that it
wasn't so necessary?

Ah, that would explain why there only needed to be three digits.

>> We'll ask Don in Vegas--he'll tell us the whole story!

Don who?  Corleone?  Novello?  Juan?  Ho?