[DeTomaso] Rear Axle Nuts- Are they "Handed"? And if so, Which One Is Left Hand?

Visit ProvaMo.com pantera007 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 15 23:16:13 EDT 2007

There may be an identifying mark.  S (Sinestra ? - sinister-evil) for left,
D (Destra ? - diety) for right.
Left is supposed to be bad, right?

Then, if ( I F  ) the axles are on the correct side - grin.....
Think of it as being turned tighter by the wheel direction.

However, I have seen cars with the same 'handed' axle on both sides.  I have
see cars with both sides reversed.
I have seen most cars correctly placed.
If you can see any threads, look closely... you might be able to tell which
direction they loosen/tighten.

Chuck
Guys:

At long last I got my rear axle upper ball joints out. Using the "gizmo",
but an improved gizmo... which I'll provide pictures of later.

My current quandary is which way does the axle nuts rotate to come off? Is
the driver side a left hand thread? Or are either sides left hand? I believe
I read somewhere that they are "handed", but I can't remember where I read
it, or what the details are.

Since I don't want to make a nasty job worse (550 ft lbs of torque tightened
before I realize it's a left hand thread), any help here will, as always, be
gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris