[DeTomaso] Rear Axle Nuts- Are they "Handed"? And if so, Which One Is Left Hand?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Mar 16 01:56:02 EDT 2007

In a message dated 3/15/07 18:43:16, cdifani at pacbell.net writes:

<< My current quandary is which way does the axle nuts rotate to come off? Is
the driver side a left hand thread? Or are either sides left hand? I believe
I read somewhere that they are "handed", but I can't remember where I read it,
or what the details are.

>>>The axles are handed, but the factory didn't always do a perfect job, and
some cars have two lefts, or two rights.

Stamped into the end of the stock axles is an "S" or a "D" which stand for "
sinistro" and "destra".  "Sinestro" comes from the same Latin root as
"Sinister", or left, while "Destra" comes from the Latin root "deus", meaning "God",
i.e. right.

I've never seen an aftermarket axle with markings on it.  There are normally
enough threads visible outside of the nut that you can clearly discern which
way to turn the nut.

>Since I don't want to make a nasty job worse (550 ft lbs of torque tightened
before I realize it's a left hand thread), any help here will, as always, be
gratefully appreciated. >>

>>>You got it!

free email to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at
http://www.aol.com.</HTML>