[DeTomaso] ansa guts

David_Bell at oxy.com David_Bell at oxy.com
Sat Mar 10 00:50:35 EST 2007

My memory of the sound measurement exercise during the dyno day is
slightly different - though occasionally I've been known to completely
disremember things so you can't necessarily take this to the bank.   But
I 'think' that the 'stock' GTS exhaust in JT's table was actually a
remanufactured system that Gray Gregory bought from Gary Hall.  I talked
to Gary at TWS one year when he brought out his grabber blue 'POPCAL'
car to run at the track.  I liked the POPCAL sound so much that I asked
Gary about it.  He told me that the GTS exhaust systems he sold were
stockish Ansa mufflers that had been gutted and put back together.  I
wasn't sure exactly what he meant by 'gutted', but at any rate that's
where I got the idea to try it on my car.  I ended up getting some more
details from Tony DiGiovana, who'd actually done it to his car, before I
pulled out the die grinder and chopped mine up.

Anyway....the stock GTS exhaust measurement may actually not be 'stock'.
My ear tells me that at WOT the gutted mufflers are significantly louder
than before the surgery.  But at idle and normal driving they are maybe
only slightly louder, but have a meaner sounding growl (whatever that
means).

YMMV

Dave Bell (was bored in Abu-Dhabi, currently bored in Oman, soon to be
bored in Qatar)

Garth I do not have a sound clip. The exhaust noise is throatier and
only slightly louder. The modification helps minimize the chirping noise
often heard with the GTS. Space City Panteras measured sound levels at
idle and full throttle for various exhaust systems.
A sample follows -Idle/Wide open in db
Gutted GTS 94/118
GTS 84/119
Big Bore 93/121
Magna Flow 89/120
Mindtrain 98/122
The measured sound level difference between a gutted and stock GTS was
insignificant; although, it seems louder subjectively.

 JT