[DeTomaso] Busted motor mount bolt

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Mar 6 13:04:10 EST 2007

In a message dated 3/05/07 8:24:09 PM, cengles at cox.net writes:

<< The left side is two piece??    In all my engine removal & reinstallation
misadventures, I have never noticed that either side mounts were anything but
single pieces.   Have the  Italian  craftsmen deceived me?? >>

Yup- thats why there a long bolt thru the middle of the aluminum mounts.  In
fact both sides are two-piece with the infamous rubber washer separating the
two halves. Its just that on the right side, you don't have to separate the two
halves to remove the assembly from the car. I suggest taking the weight off
the engine (it doesn't need to actually be jacked up in the air), unbolting the
long connecting bolt and rotate the rubber "vibration isolater" aka 'washer'
180 degrees on both your mounts. Or you too may wind up with one or two
snapped motor-mount bolts. This then lets the engine dance around during spirited
driving; pullies may touch the steel firewall, distributor caps may touch, and
break, on the rear window surround and other such things to occupy your time.
Good luck- J DeRyke<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> AOL
now offers free email to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at
http://www.aol.com.