[DeTomaso] Need an Oilite non-magnetic pilot busing

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 21 23:31:54 EDT 2007

Doug,

       But how do you tell if there is a miss alignment?  The weight of the ZF seems to make it impossible to do it by feel.  And it appears to be a real potential problem because I think Tilton and others sell offset dowels to correct for errors.  I guess once a block is line bored, there can be errors?  Is there a template to lay against the block and then against the bell housing with the transmission bolted up to check for alignment?

  Ken

Douglas Kelm <dakelm at qwest.net> wrote:
  Larry,

Yes, a misaligned input shaft and flywheel would raise havoc with the pilot
bushing, but short of using offset alignment dowels, there is not much you
can do about it. I don't want to think that DeTomaso wouldn't have gotten
this right, because it's highly unlikely that only a few cars would be
affected. The ZF bellhousing to Ford block alignment was not hand fit to
each car! It was a production line machining process (all the same).

Doug Kelm