[DeTomaso] Need an Oilite non-magnetic pilot busing

Douglas Kelm dakelm at qwest.net
Fri Jun 22 01:02:15 EDT 2007

With most conventional manual transmissions (which the ZF is definitely NOT) there is a zero clearance (circular) fit between the trans and the bellhousing. Then to index the bellhousing to the block you use a magnetic base dial indicator affixed to the flywheel (or crankshaft) and turn the crank with the tip of the dial indicator tracing the hole in the bellhousing, all the while observing variances in concentricity and shifting the bellhousing around (using the offset dowel pins if necessary) until the hole in the bellhousing is concentric with the crankshaft. Obviously a trial and error, time consuming process! I'm not sure how the ZF is indexed to it's bellhousing, since I have never separated the two. But if it is like most other transmissions, the above procedure should work. I guess I should have done this check when I had my ZF out for a clutch replacement. but I didn't. Oh well! I would be interested in hearing from other Pantera owners who have performed this check and  what, if any, were the extent of the variances in concentricity they found.

Doug