[DeTomaso] Wire Strap Covers

Chris Difani cdifani at pacbell.net
Wed Jun 6 03:17:06 EDT 2007

Mike:

Fortunately I have all of mine, but if I was replacing mine I would get the double layer heat shrink in black, about the 3/4 inch, or 1 inch size. This is the heat shrink that has an adhesive layer on the inside. The adhesive layer makes the heat shrink much "thicker" than the usual stuff. Then cut a piece that's the correct length, and apply heat at one end, or the other, at just the end. Just so it "shrinks" on to the metal, and secures itself, and won't slip off.

Or don't even worry about the heating/shrinking security thing. I believe that once you bend the metal back into it's curved shape, the heat shrink won't fall off in any case.

In terms of color, the double layer (adhesive on the inside) heat shrink seems to be available only in black... At least I've never seen it in any other color. If you can't find it locally, both Waytek ( www.waytekwire.com  ) and Mouser  (  www.mouser.com  ) carry it.

The other option would be some kind of vinyl hose... but I haven't seen any that has a thin tube wall similar to the strap covers...

Chris

Chris Difani
'73 L #5829 "LITNNG"
Sacramento, CA