[DeTomaso] Clear Coating Aluminum?

BobFluty at aol.com BobFluty at aol.com
Sat Jun 2 19:01:08 EDT 2007

In a message dated 6/2/2007 11:53:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Tborcich at msn.com writes:

What is  the best way to clear coat freshly bead blasted  aluminum?

I had the a couple of polished aluminum parts clear powder coated years  ago,
but experienced some "lifting" of the coating over time.  I  currently have
several polished aluminum pieces that I've sprayed with Eastwood  "Diamond
Clear - gloss clear for bare metal surfaces."  The first  part I sprayed was one
of the motor mounts - I buffed them both and  then sprayed one of them, so I
could have a before and after comparison.   The finished went on smoothly and
looks nice...it did take a little of the  shine out of the part, but I actually
like the slightly subdued  appearance.  I've sprayed several other parts and
they all turned out nice,  but these parts have never been out of the garage
:-(

I can't vouch for how they will withstand real use, but I plan on spraying
several other small parts.  My gearbox is polished, but I really hadn't
considered spraying it with the Eastwood product.  Eastwood claims:  finish is  fuel
resistant, heat resistant to 350°F and  non-yellowing.  Here is the link to
the Eastwood site for the clear finish:
_http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=415&itemType=PRODUCT_
(http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=415&itemType=PRODUCT)

Good luck!