[DeTomaso] PIM

www.ProvaMo.com pantera007 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 27 13:37:45 EDT 2007

When you go to PIM/ (or call) you don't reach Dave and/or Linda.

Although they are a part owner of PIM (Pantera International Motorsports)
Jerry Sackett runs the place.  I think Dave & Linda started it as an
offshoot of Pantera International
then quickly realized they could not run both well.  So they sold (major
interest ???) to Jerry long ago.

I had a similar experience with Jerry (about 5-7 years ago).  I called in
advance of my 6 hour drive.  Upon arrival
I was surprised at the response (or lack of it).  I don't know Jerry (or a
better description he does not know me!).

I started taking photos of all the cars in the garage area, which apparently
made him a little nervous.
Especially when I photoed this one stripped car that was mostly "rust
damage".  It still is the worst example of damage
I have seen.  He asked that this car not appear on my website, which it
never has.

My opinion:  Jerry is a VERY quiet guy.  He definitely does not have the
personality of a "marketeer" or salesman.
Which is sometimes a good thing if you abhor pushy people.  But his quiet
style is definitely a surprise!

Anyway, when you go to PIM, don't expect aggressive selling (unless maybe
there is someone else working there.)
But I believe you do get service if you express what you want.  YMMV.

With Dave & Linda handing off the magazine to George (Who is doing a
fabulous job) you might see Dave there more,
but remember they are (sort of) retired, and live a few hours away now.  So
don't expect to meet either at PIM.
(That was my BIG mistake!!!)  I hear Dave does still help with the cars.
(Dave has provided me access to the PIM photos
for the Registry, for example.

And      PIM is NOT PI,       and you won't see Dave or Linda at PIM
(generally).

Jerry is a "different" kind of guy, and since I don't really know him, and
can only base my experiences on a few visits,
I'd say realizing he is quiet goes a long way to explaining my experience.

I hope this helps to explain the background, and clears up some confusion
about the connection between PI and PIM, Jerry Sackett, and the Adlers.

===== ===== =====

As a general comment about DeTomaso vendors:

Most started a business more as a hobby to support their interest, than to
make money.  Many started back when the Pantera was new/near new.

Like the car, they are aging, and many are at the point where they might
like to hand off the reigns.

(For example Cory Gehling has offered his business (Collectors Choice) for
sale, if I read the ads correctly.)

I hope there will be those few that have a passion (and long-term desire) to
support the Marque, and accept the hand-off of the baton and do their best.

(For example George Pence and his son + crew).

The Marque needs a few people to continue to support "us".

Personally I have been approached a few times to take-over, or buy into, a
DeTomaso business.  I wish I had the money to do so.
(Instead I spend my time on my DeTomaso website, and hosting or supporting
events.)

But if not me, then I hope someone else is able to take charge.  During the
transition there will be some rough spots as each new leader does
things a little differently.  So I'll give each change-over some slack.

I wish good luck to the leaders and vendors of our Marque.

Chuck Melton

> Not sure whom you talked to, Dave and Linda generally seemed quietly
> enthusiastic when I spoke to them.  No drums and cymbals, but they seemed
> to have a real interest in Panteras.  They always seemed willing to talk,
> even when a sale was not eminent.  I guess they generally are not at the
> store in Orange.
>
>   Ken
>
> "dferrato at aol.com" <dferrato at aol.com> wrote:
>   Same thing here. I was so excited to visit what I thought would be
> the "mecca" or our marque. The lack of enthusiasm or even
> acknowledgment of my presence amazed me. They could have sold me
> thousands of dollars worth of stuff, and probably a new engine, with
> any reasonable effort at all. They really need someone to straighten
> the "front end" of the place out. With such a passionate owner's
> group to service, you would think they would figure that out. Dave
> Ferrato #5972

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
6:08 AM