[DeTomaso] IDA Webers - Power Enrichment

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 11:19:03 EDT 2007

> But I would respectfully dispute that a Cleveland will run out of breath
> at 5500 rpm with Webers, as the factory Group 4's will show. Patrick Hals'
> "Andy Warhol" car is weber equipped (I just checked my photos), and happily
> pulls to his 6500 rpm rev-limiter. His last dyno sheet showed roughly 550
> crankshaft horsepower.

Vizard's testing of 48 IDA's was that they start to become restrictive
above 480 HP.  That doesn't mean they won't make 550 HP, only that you'd
make more power with with a larger size.

> How far did you get with the dual Autolite inlines?  I see them mounted
> on the 351C, and even in the Pantera engine compartment, but did you
> start it up?  Tune it?  Drive it?

You are looking at two different set-ups.  The ones installed on the red
Pantera belong to Richard Openshaw.  I'm not sure of the status of his
car.  The ones mounted on the Offy tunnel ram base belong to someone else
who is loanng them to me to put on my white Pantera.  The carbs have been
rebuilt.  Just need to work through the linkage and air cleaner issues.
I also know of a 351C-powered Cobra replica running the inline Autolites
and he likes them very much.

> Which carburetors had the idle circuit?  The -A's or the -B's?

The difference between the -A's and  -B's is the throttle bore size and
CFM rating.  Part number DOZX 9510-A used 1 11/16" throttle bores and was
rated at 850 CFM and was meant to be mounted as a single carb on a plenum
intake.  Part number DOZX 9510-B used 2 1/4" throttle bores and was rated
at 1400 CFM and was meant to be mounted on an independent runner manifold.
Later versions were equipped with idle circuits.

> And finally, if you had to choose between Webers or dual Autolite inlines,
> which would you choose - assuming you'd be driving it mostly on the street,
> plus the occasional track time?

I've not run the Autolites yet so I can't really compare but Webers are
more readily available and set up properly can work very well.  I drove
Durango Dave's Kirkham FIA Cobra replica with 48 IDA's and it ran very
well.

Kaase mentioned Dyno Don used Autolite inlines for drag racing once
and they worked well, after having the bugs worked out.

I have an old magazine article on induction testing on a 351C.
Various intakes and carbs incluidng tunnel ram 2x4 barrel and
Autolite inlines were tested by Ak Miller.  Here's what it had
to say:

"The ninth test was the best. A pair of 2 1/4-inch throttle
bore Autolite In-Lines were attached to the engine by way
of a specially fabricated intake manifold. Seven-and-a-half
inch-tall velocity stacks were slipped over the inlets, though
Ak advises that stacks half that height should be used for
better torque and sustained horsepower. Anyway, the torque
peaked out at 4800 rpm, and the corrected. reading was 376
lbs.-ft. It pulled evenly all the way up to its peak point,
and horsepower was identical to the dual-four setup (398 at
6600 rpm). But the difference was low-speed idling, and the
dual Autolite system would properly idle at 600 rpm. Low
speed operation was very good and termed fantastic by Ak
in comparison to the dual-four inlet."

Dan Jones