[DeTomaso] hand brake ???

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jul 23 13:13:59 EDT 2007

In a message dated 7/23/07 9:46:09 AM, pantera007 at sbcglobal.net writes:

> A friend with a couple of "Late Model" Panteras needs to replace his hand
> brake lever.
> (The ratchet + tooth part seems broken)
>

>>>I seriously doubt it.

If one over-extends the mechanism, something inside goes all wonky and it
won't ratchet anymore.   But it's not broken.   It just needs to be taken apart
and put back right.   It's actually a common failure mode with this type of
system; my silver Scirocco is so-afflicted after a particularly exuburant yank
that I gave a few weeks ago.

Typically, the button will pop out an extra 1/4 inch or so when things go
wrong like that.

In answer to your question, yes, I believe the handle is the same as those
fitted on the early cars.   But have him investigate fixing his handle
(resetting it, basically) before replacing it.