[DeTomaso] Head replacement

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 20:11:54 EDT 2007

I've had these 351C heads molding away in a corner that Dave Williams built
for me.  Just a standard set of high compression heads, stock sized valves
in single piece steel.  I don't expect this engine to go above 5500RPM
especially after what it's been through.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47702694@N00/sets/72157600955981725/

I floated some valves and there was some (a lot) of contact between the
valve and the piston due, I assume, to spring wear and perhaps sticky valve
guides.  Twisted the pushrods into pretzels.  I took the pushrods out to get
home... unwittingly causing them to pop out with resulting loss of oil
pressure (about 5 lbs).  Dave's heads look awfully nice, so I'm putting them
on with some Victor Reinz gaskets.  I'm also installing the intake manifold
that Dave prepared for me with bungs for 16 fuel injectors.

The engine is serving as a test mule for some EFI experiments, and I figure
it will last a few thousand more miles.  I'm checking the ZF for safety wire
on the ring gear, painting the engine and the engine compartment, weld new
bungs to the gas tank (it's one of the aluminum ones), and replace all the
bolts that have "gone missing" over 35 years.  Maybe I'll toy with the AC
too, but I really want to drive this thing again before my tires rot.

--
'65, '68 Mustangs, '68 Cougar, '78 R100/7, '71 Pantera #1382