[DeTomaso] Fuel Pump Question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Jul 14 15:44:08 EDT 2007

In a message dated 7/13/07 6:53:01 PM, artstephens at charter.net writes:

<< I have my car on a chassis dyno running wide open for a few seconds.  Fuel
pressure does not drop.  That would not necessarily mean that I'm not at risk
of going lean,  would  it?  If I am using fuel faster than the system is
providing it,  could my gauge still be
showing full pressure until the bowl actually empties?  I'm a little
concerned about getting a false sense of security by watching the gauge for the brief
time the car is wide open on the dyno. >>

Correct- the fuel level in the bowls could still be slowly dropping.
Best/simplest/cheapest way is to have someone weld in a threaded receiver in your two
exhaust collectors and add two wide-band O2 sensors & a gauge with a selector.
 The hookup can be temporary or permanent. This will give a real-time reading
of rich/lean on both banks of the V-8, well before any loss of metal occurs.
Except with turbo- or super-charged engines, or the addition of a monster
nitrous system. Then, things happen real fast, real bad. Setting such engines up
at 11:1 seems to be the way pros insure not going lean, ever. There's more
power at 14:1 but you're also closer to the 'fragmentation-grenade' area.... Good
a sneak peak of the all-new AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour
</HTML>