[DeTomaso] Fuel Pumps

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Jul 11 17:10:00 EDT 2007

In a message dated 7/11/07 10:54:43 AM, charlesbuthala at yahoo.com writes:

<< Since I beefed up the engine with a large cam the calculations and the
engine are telling me I need a larger fuel pump.  I called Carter, Holley,
Edelbrock and found that no one makes a mechanical fuel pump larger then 80 GPH.  I
need between 110 and 120 GPH. Any ideas.  The Summit tech help suggested an
electronic pump that you put into the tank, at a mere $309, plus all the parts
to hook it up and labor. >>

As mentioned earlier on the subject, school-of-hard-knocks experience by pro
engine assemblers says with a totally stock Pantera fuel system, the fuel flow
rate is adequate up to about 400 or so real horses. Then the limiting factor
becomes not the pump but the inside diameter of the lines out of the tank to
the pump, and from the pump to the carb (including the float bowl needles). If
it's a pre-1973 Pantera, the fuel-out line goes thru a banjo fitting on top of
the tank, that is definitely part of the flow restriction. For 450 and up
horses actually being used for more than a second or so, a 1/2" mimimum ID steel
supply line should be added to/from the pump. There are dependable mechanical
pumps made by Carter available from NASCAR engine builders that work up to
around 875 horses & 9800 rpms. You may need a second mortgage for one of these
pumps. If you're using Aeroquip fittings, the desired size is dash-8 all the way
from inside of the tank to the carb and many successful big-power builders
use dash-10 sizes from pump to carb. Not doing this will certainly allow an
occasional blast to high rpms with stock lines & fittings, but runs the risk of
going lean at high rpms when the float bowls empty, which is usually awfully
expensive & noisy....
Note also that the desirable line/fitting sizes above can be 'fudged' a
little smaller with EFI, especially with an in-tank pump, since the pressures
delivered are 8-10X higher and that compensates a bit for flow restrictions.  Good
sneak peak of the all-new AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>