[DeTomaso] Techno question: Oil Restrictor placement

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Feb 25 02:27:16 EST 2007

In a message dated 2/24/07 2:13:09 PM, cengles at cox.net writes:

<< I am about to place the Moroso oil restrictors in my 351C.  It will use a
hydraulic camshaft (non roller).  What and where are the recommendations for
restrictor placement? >>

Moroso should have sent you written directions for these things!  5 of the 6
restrictors go in the upper main bearing bores for cam journal oiling, above
the bearings. Tap threads deep enough so the bearing inserts do not touch any
part of the restrictors, or that will make a high point and the bearing-half
will fail. Use red Lock-tite on the restrictors and tighten them 'firmly'. In
the upper rear main there are three ganged passages: the right one comes IN from
the main oil gallery so should be left unrestricted, the center goes OUT to
the 5th cam bearing boss and gets a restrictor like the others, and the left
oil passage goes OUT to the other 8 lifters so it gets a restrictor as well.
Normally the block will be upside-down when doing this so don't get mixed up as to
 which side is IN and which is OUT or you'll starve the mains. This is
described in detail in Pat Ganahl's old  'Ford Performance' book, pg 90.

Consider that hydraulic lifters (either roller or flat tappet) need more oil
than solid lifters and fast-bleed lifters need even more. Oil restrictors work
OK with std hydraulic lifters but if the left side lifters are restricted,
they will rattle at times if they're the fast-bleed type due to momentary
internal oil starvation (which doesn't seem to hurt them). Our current block uses
Moroso restrictors and the Rhodes fast-bleed lifters have been rattling off-&-on
for 18 years now.... but some guys leave out the left-side lifter restrictor
for this reason and only use the 5 cam bearing restrictors. Good luck- J DeRyke
http://www.aol.com.