[DeTomaso] Seat Belts

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Feb 22 02:56:09 EST 2007

In a message dated 2/21/07 12:13:21 PM, jmontero at fcmat.org writes:

<<...  My question is, can I convert my car to the more modern single belt
setup with the retractors?  Has anyone done this conversion and, if so, what is
involved?  >>

Major problem unless you're good at interior work; my daughter-in-law did
this one. What's involved is to find a set of stock late-'73-up belts in good
condition. The lap belts swap right into your car. The integral shoulder
harnesses are the problem since they are attached to their own retractors sunk into
the firewall on later cars. Your early firewall likely has no depressions built
into the steel, and the upholstered surrounding is not made to accept the
shoulder harness retractors, either.
Your choices: spend a ton of money to mod your car, sell your car & buy a
late '73-up Pantera, or stay satisfied with the arguably handier detachable
shoulder harness of the early setup. Or go to a bolt-in aftermarket system which is
probably safer anyway and certainly will be much less effort. And you can
always unbolt racing harnesses & reinstall the stock ones for shows. Good luck- J
DeRyke<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> AOL now offers
free email to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at
http://www.aol.com.