[DeTomaso] ZF-Q transaxle

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Feb 20 01:32:29 EST 2007

In a message dated 2/19/07 11:09:10, JDeRyke at aol.com writes:

<< And Greg Isakoff somehow broke several gear sets in '04-05 while
road-racing a 650+ horse Pantera; dunno how 'gently' he shifts.  >>

>>>To quote Lloyd Butfoy, "He's an ANIMAL!"

Remember the Muppet Show?  Remember Animal, the wild-eyed drummer in the
band?  According to Lloyd, that's Gregg.  He's a big beliver in using the clutch
leaving the pits, and that's about it!  Lloyd showed me some of his carnage--he
has managed to break gearboxes in ways that NOBODY has broken gearboxes!

Dennis Quella showed me some interesting stuff too.  He supplies ZFs to the
Coyote race cars which race in the unlimited class at Pike's Peak hillclimb.
These boys have some serious horsepower and with only ten minutes of wheel
time, they aren't fooling around when it comes time to go.  Those guys were using
stock Pantera drive shafts, and they were TWISTING them so they looked like
licorice sticks!  The driveshafts wouldn't break, nor would the U-joints
(heavy-duty aftermarket U-joints).  He said that the drivers would remove them
between runs, switch them side-to-side to reverse their rotation, and then un-twist
them on the next run!

When treated respectfully, the ZF will take whatever any of us can dish out
to it.