[DeTomaso] Hot air

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Dec 18 13:51:09 EST 2007

In a message dated 12/18/07 9 20 20, forestg at att.net writes:

> The squealing is not caused by the temperature but is the result of a high
> charge rate at the alternator replacing the power used to start the engine.
> You just need to tighten the alternator belt a bit. I have the same problem
> because I drive the alternator off the AC compressor so that both units load
> the belt that drives the compressor. I have been able to tighten the belt
> enough to stop this from happening.
>

>>>I have had a squealing alternator belt that could not be fixed simply by
tightening it; it looked fine but evidently had some form of wear that was
causing it to slip.   Replacing it fixed the problem forever.   Any misalignment
between the various brackets and pulleys could also account for a squeal.

Yes, proposing putting fans in the engine bay to fix a squealing alternator
belt instead of just attending to the belt is indeed a first!