[DeTomaso] 73 front bumper replacement?

F&D Terry gt5s at bcpl.net
Fri Aug 31 14:34:16 EDT 2007

Chuck,

I don't remember the article and I don't mean to knock the method used
on PanteraPlace. I think it is very workable. I only mean to point out
that 3M # 5895 has no reinforcing qualities and it should not be
expected to repair a rip or tear. If used with the drywall mesh tape it
can be counted on for a lasting repair. As I recall, the #5895 is not a
good adhesive for dissimilar materials and it didn't adhere well to the
bumper steel. It reminds me of a flexible body filler. 3M make an
excellent two part Structural Adhesive that is flexible and will bond
the rubber bumper material to steel. I don't have the number. Of course
the steel must be rust free and both rubber and steel should first be
washed with lacquer thinner.

Fred T.