[DeTomaso] Oversteer/Understeer

Matt Merritt mmerritt at EventVehicles.com
Tue Aug 28 17:03:12 EDT 2007

The Hoosier radial tires I used on my racing Pantera were said by the
manufacturer to grip best with a 7-degree slip angle.  That means the
difference between the way the tires were pointed and the car's
direction was 7 degrees.  I consider a car to have "neutral" handling
when it's relatively easy to maintain the same slip angles front and
rear without excessive driver input.  The driver then "throttle steers"
the car - increasing or decreasing throttle to add or subtract traction
to one end or the other - to maintain that balance.  My 1989 BMW M3 has
outstanding balance.  The Pantera, on the other hand...

MM