[DeTomaso] Oversteer/Understeer

Göran Malmberg hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Tue Aug 28 17:34:41 EDT 2007

Re: Oversteer/UndersteerThis is the reason different Ackermann is to be used at different speed tracks.
At full grip 100% Ackermann is the thing to use, at other speeds wher slipp
enters the picture, the Ackermann should be such that both wheels is "slipprolling"
in the same direction.
A note here is that "neutral" dosent nessesarley mean that the car (no driver factor)
is a fast car. It is very easy to adjust a car to neutral by the wrong action. However,
deciding what is right is no easy task. An example, lets say we have a skidpad again
and that the car balanced to zero. Take the car to the track where it uses more
rearwheel  hp, and it oversteers. We put on larger rear rubber and the car is back to
long corner high speed balance.

Now, we take the car back to the skidpad, asking another team to test drive the car.
They find the car to be understeering and we ask them to correct the balance.They
will probabley adjust the rollbar, or anything but go back to the right tire size.
This means that they end up with to high a rollstiffness balance and therby the wrong
rolldeflection.
Regards
Goran Malmberg