[DeTomaso] New Engine

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 16:31:27 EDT 2007

> At this point I am leaning towards a stroked Windsor.  392 or 427.  430 -
> 500 HP, comparable ft-lbs of torque. Nornally aspirated.

393W is a budget deal that allows you to use factory 351W rods and 302W
pistons along with a 3.85" stroker crank in a 9.5" deck block.  The 427W
strokers typically use a larger bore race block.  I'm not sure why you
are looking only att he extremes but, in between, you have 4" and 4.1"
stroke cranks for 408 and 418 cubic inches in a 4.030" bore 351W block.

> I am looking for feedback either here or directly via e-mail and/or phone
> regarding what to put in.  Installation should be as "plug and play" as
> possible.  Fully understanding the need for new headers, alternator,
> waterpump, carb, etc...depending upon engine choice.

Also oil pan, water tubes, intake manifold, etc.  Figure the cost of all
the swap bits into the cost.  For what you want to do, the cheapest and
easiest approch is to do a 393C or 408C using one of SCAT's Cleveland
stroker kits.  We've dyno tested a couple of 408C SCAT stroker's recently.
One was with a street hydraulic roller and made 470 to 485 HP at 5500-5600
RPM, depending upon which intake was fitted.  The other made made 525 HP
at 6300-6400 RPM with a street solid roller cam.  Both had cast iron
Cleveland 4V heads and were approximately 10:1 compression motors tested
on premium pump gas through full exhaust.  Dave McLain was the builder
and cost was in the $5K range.  Dave is a former Engine Masters
competitor (with a production block 351C stroker that made over 600 HP)
and has weighed and sonic tested 351W blocks.  He is of the opinion that
production 351W blocks are no stronger than production 351C blocks.

Dan Jones