[DeTomaso] Clutch slipping at 3000 RPMs

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 11:13:09 EDT 2007

On 8/10/07, Konrad.Szwab at alconlabs.com <Konrad.Szwab at alconlabs.com> wrote:

> The situation now, as for the last 10 years, is that the car is slow, it
> would not spin tires when pushed hard and on all gears after 3000 RPMs
> the revs kind of go up quickly with no effect.
>
> Could it be that I have the short throw slave cylinder and I would need
> a long throw ? Would this prevent the clutch from fully engaging ?

That honestly sounds like you need a new clutch.  If your present clutch was
not broken in properly, or the flywheel and/or pressure plate was not
surfaced before installation, you can get what is called "glazing" and the
symptoms you describe are consistent with that.

I had a '69 Mustang GT in my youth, and couldn't afford to reface my
flywheel, though I did get a new pressure plate.  The new clutch didn't last
1000 miles.

sean
--
'65, '68 Mustangs, '68 Cougar, '78 R100/7, '71 Pantera #1382