[DeTomaso] Is this as bad as it sounds (NASCAR)

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Wed Aug 8 19:14:56 EDT 2007

Dear Mike, Gray, and Forum,

             The following quote is from the book:     Ford: The Dust and
the Glory,   A Racing History, Volume 2 (1968-2000) by Leo Levine and
published by S.A.E. in 2001.    Page 208-209.

             "So I walk into the office and Mr. France is sitting looking
out the window with his back to me in this big high-backed leather chair,and
I walked in, and I felt like I was back in the army, as Private Rhoades
reporting to some general.... So I said, 'yes sir, Mr. France, you wanted to
see me,'  so he turned around in his swivel chair, motioned for me to sit
down, so I sat down in front of him, and then he leaned across his desk and
he said, 'What are you guys up to?'

             ''I said, 'Sir?,' and he said, 'Ford.  What are you doing?'
And I suddenly realized he is asking me what our involvement is, and of
course I'm not the guy to talk to, he should have picked up the phone and
called Harold Poling, or at least  Michael, but fortunately I'm already
dealing with the media on stuff like this, so I give him the party line, and
pointed at me and he said, 'Let me tell you something.  We are NOT in the
racing business.  We are in the entertainment business."

              So......I have always taken this quote directly and candidly
from Mr. NASCAR, Bill France Sr. as being terribly revealing and insightful.

              NASCAR  it's not racing-----it's entertainment!

                                     Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles