[DeTomaso] Exhaust "Popping"

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Apr 23 02:53:47 EDT 2007

In a message dated 4/22/07 21 24 50, dfcex at pacbell.net writes:

> It has the same exhaust system as on the previous 351c and the same
> ignition (MSD 6AL).

And the same exhaust *gaskets*?   You really can never reuse them.   I am
betting on an exhaust leak.   Did you re-torque the header bolts after you put
the motor in the car and ran it once or twice?   They normally have to be
re-torqued, or they will loosen up, and once that happens, you will quickly blow out
the exhaust gasket, and the resultant exhaust leak will manifest itself as
big pops in the exhaust under trailing throttle.

Been there, done that more than once (in fact I just recently had to change a
gasket on my Pantera motor because the bolts loosened themselves and it blew
the gasket out).   Check the intake manifold bolts too--mine loosened up on
both the Cobra and Pantera....