[DeTomaso] No Log in Required?

Dick Koch arkoch at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 21 09:37:04 EDT 2007

Seems this thread has ruffled some feathers, especially the owner of the
Provo site.  I think he/she has missed the point of the folks that have
a problem with "registering" to gain access to the site.

As I understand the Provo site, it is an informational site as is POCA,
Pantera Place, and others, with a secondary usage of capturing Pantera
owner's car information.

The only time I have "registered" for a site is when I wanted to
participate in a forum or chat room that needs to be monitored to be
able to restrict folks that trash the discussions.  That can be done
regardless of the accuracy of the registrant's registration. POCA is a
case in point.

The logic behind registering for the informational aspects of a website
goes contrary to the general practice used on all but a few sites that
do not have a commercial intent.  It certainly is contrary to the sites
that cater to the Pantera community, even the commercial ones.

To do otherwise under the subterfuge of controlling access to a subset
of the web site would lead folks to conclude, as in the Provo site, that
there is commercial intent.  There would be no other reason to require
registration to the entire site.  Or could it be an ego driven desire to
be needed.   No, that couldn't be the reason.

To maintain the integrity of the registry, which is impossible to do
given anyone can register under any name and present false information,
the Provo site would do itself a favor by requiring a registration for
only the registry, not the entire site.  To do otherwise is to encourage
unsavory folks to put garbage into the registry.

There is no need to create suspicion if there is no hidden agenda when
it creates dissension in the "customers" it seeks to serve.

As the Provo site owner pointed out, folks have a choice.  Don't like
it, don't use it!  Given there are many excellent options to obtain
comprehensive information on our beloved marque, I am sure many folks
will take that advice and won't use it.  I would think, however, that
the Provo site owner would be trying to attract folks to the site
instead of alienating the people to which it supposedly caters.

While I certainly applaud anyone that takes the time to add to the
Pantera ownership experience, as the Provo site has for some folks in
the past, I haven't seen a need for the site in the past and don't see a
compelling reason to start using the site now.

As JD would say, my two cents worth.

Dick Koch - Atlanta