[DeTomaso] Trailer question

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Apr 19 01:43:13 EDT 2007

In a message dated 4/18/07 17:28:59, MACHWIL at aol.com writes:

<< I've never had the rear cover come up towing backwards, but it has
happened
to other. I didn't even lock the lock, but I do now. >>

>>>There are few things in the world that you can do, that are less smart
than towing a Pantera backwards on an open trailer.  Perhaps putting it in
neutral, and pushing it down your driveway and into the street would be a bit worse,
but other than that, I can't think of much.

Several Panteras have been EXTENSIVELY damaged due to malfunctions
encountered while they were being towed backwards.  Some have had the front hood pop
open, which is bad, but what is REALLY bad is when the decklid opens up, flies up
and over the roof, caving in the roof and smashing the windshield.  This has
happened to enough people that most of the rest of us now know better.

The decklid catch is a pretty iffy thing under the best of circumstances.
It's not unusual when driving a Pantera to hit a bump which deflects the chassis
just enough to cause it to pop open (in fact this happened to me just a few
months ago, before I re-adjusted my striker).

Please, PLEASE never tow your Pantera backwards again on an open trailer.  Or
if you do, remove the decklid first.  If you are absolutely desperate, you
could perhaps run some tie-downs through the webbing of the decklid, then drop
them down alongside the transaxle and tie the decklid to the trailer.  But
that's a desperate measure.

Mike<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> See what's free at
http://www.aol.com.</HTML>