[DeTomaso] Front Oil Cooler / a non-technical response / DickRuzzin

Visit ProvaMo.com pantera007 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 7 16:42:59 EDT 2007

Has anyone rigged a thermostat bypass, such that the cooler is bypassed when
oil is cold,
AND
placed a shrouded fan, also controlled by a thermostat (set to go on at a
different temp) ?

Or is this really overkill, except for Our Cleveland Grenadier John Bentley?

Chuck

An aero engineer once told me that the location of an oil cooler is not too
critical as long a there is reasonable space around it for expanded heated
air
to move away from it.   He said that the oil traveling through a finned unit
will reject a lot of heat without being in a major airflow area, like the
front
of a car.

If you locate it in the rear I would keep it away from the exhaust, maybe
even shield the exhaust some. Buy a thin one, single row, with as much
surface as
you can get and install it with enough uninterrupted space above it so that
heat can rise above it when in slow traffic.

And a thermostat.

Dick Ruzzin