[DeTomaso] MSD 6AL *and* Spark gap&Pinging

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Wed Apr 4 09:35:33 EDT 2007

Dear Dennis ,

You wrote:

>"After my recent head and cam change I initially gapped my plugs at .045 I
>had a pinging issue and reduced the gap to .035 and it ran stronger and
>stopped pinging. Worked for me but maybe not for you, I guess you'll have
>to used the trial and error method."

Pinging is related to spark plug gap? I am so ignorant that when I had my pinging issue with an engine the sources were supposed to be: compression too high, octane too low or timing too far advanced. Does this mean that it is possible to *decrease* the spark gap (on a case by case basis) and regain some timing advance??

Warmest regards, Chuck Engles