[DeTomaso] Valve seat fail and piston damage

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 07:43:47 EDT 2024

Forged or cast pistons?

I've reused pistons before with minor damage - due to valves bouncing on the seats, and lightly striking the pistons.

I'll probably get trashed for saying that, but we're not talking about F1.  I'd rather drive my Pantera with minor dents in the piston tops than let it sit in the garage for 9 months doing a perfect engine rebuild on a car that might see 1,000 miles in a good year.

Of course, if you have other things you want to fix or change, that's a different story.

On 3/27/24, 12:15 AM, "DeTomaso on behalf of Terry Himes" <detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com <mailto:detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com> on behalf of terry.himes at pncnet.com <mailto:terry.himes at pncnet.com>> wrote:

John,

Greg (Craig?) Warren bought Don Byers "Full Throttle" (Laurie Byers is moving to Oklahoma).
He is located in Lake Elsinore, CA. 949-300-8457. Same shop as Don.

570 Central Ave. Suite F
Lake Elsinore, CA

He might be on spring break vacation. I haven't been able to contact him yet. My Pantera needs help too.

Terry

On 3/26/24, 8:27 PM, "DeTomaso on behalf of John McKee" <detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com <mailto:detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com> <mailto:detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com <mailto:detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com>> on behalf of johnmckee at cox.net <mailto:johnmckee at cox.net> <mailto:johnmckee at cox.net <mailto:johnmckee at cox.net>>> wrote:

I need a recommendation for an engine builder/machine shop in Orange
County, CA.

Back story:

After sitting for 10+ years I finally fired up my engine a few weeks
ago. It sounded good for 10 minutes then I had a bad clatter in the
valve train. At first it appeared to be a loose rocker but there was
weird interaction with the valves of cylinder #4. I popped the head off
and found that the exhaust seat had come loose! While dancing around
the seat also made some deep marks on the piston head.

My gut tells me the piston is trashed and needs to be replaced. I have
a friend that says I should repair the head and go as is. I don't know
if anybody on this forum has an opinion.... But, when is a "witness
mark" a catastrophic failure in the waiting?

I posted photos on the picture forum at this link.

[1]https://pantera.infopop.cc/topic/valve-seat-failure-and-piston-damag <https://pantera.infopop.cc/topic/valve-seat-failure-and-piston-damag> <https://pantera.infopop.cc/topic/valve-seat-failure-and-piston-damag> <https://pantera.infopop.cc/topic/valve-seat-failure-and-piston-damag>>

Thank you for your thoughts,

John