[DeTomaso] Valve seat fail and piston damage

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 27 01:42:47 EDT 2024

People used Russ Fulp in Anaheim in the past.  Maybe best to find someone with recent experience?

On Tuesday, March 26, 2024 at 08:27:50 PM PDT, John McKee <johnmckee at cox.net> wrote:

  I need a recommendation for an engine builder/machine shop in Orange
  County, CA.

  Back story:

  After sitting for 10+ years I finally fired up my engine a few weeks
  ago. It sounded good for 10 minutes then I had a bad clatter in the
  valve train. At first it appeared to be a loose rocker but there was
  weird interaction with the valves of cylinder #4. I popped the head off
  and found that the exhaust seat had come loose! While dancing around
  the seat also made some deep marks on the piston head.

  My gut tells me the piston is trashed and needs to be replaced. I have
  a friend that says I should repair the head and go as is. I don't know
  if anybody on this forum has an opinion.... But, when is a "witness
  mark" a catastrophic failure in the waiting?

  I posted photos on the picture forum at this link.

  [1]https://pantera.infopop.cc/topic/valve-seat-failure-and-piston-damag

  Thank you for your thoughts,

  John