[DeTomaso] Tips for Installing Windshield and Rear Window

Mike & Elizabeth mbefthomas2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 22:35:21 EDT 2024

I could use some tips for installing my windshield and rear window.   I have
my body guy doing the install, and he's been doing custom cars for 40 years.
However, both the rear window and the windshield have given us a great deal
of trouble, and both have come back out with trashed rubber.  That's a $725
gut-punch.

We had no trouble getting the rubber on both pieces of glass and then the
stainless trim on the windshield before attempted installation.  The
windshield weather strip I bought from Larry Stock and the rear weatherstrip
from Wilkinson.  Replacement pieces same same.  We are using a diluted soapy
water solution.  My guy has done a couple hundred tir-5 Chevy windshields
which are just as hard or more so with the compound corners and preinstalled
trim.

The rubber was separating or tearing out during the roping in process.  Some
admittedly my fault for not pulling the rope the right way.

Any sequence or process suggestions to improve success on our next try would
be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike Thomas

'74 6328