[DeTomaso] Rear Suspension Lower Support Shaft Torque - 95 ft. lbs. !?

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Mon Jun 24 17:01:28 EDT 2024

 Nut / bolt torque specs can be a little bit complicated
the link is to the specs for a DRY regular nut. I suspect that bolt is an M12, but it could be a 10 or 14.
if you use anti-seize or there is oil on the threads you should subtract  20-25% from the numbers
for a Nylox nut you should measure the torque required to move the nut on the threads when the nylon has engaged but before it contacts anything and add that to the number
That bolt is in shear rather than tension, that is the force applied to it is perpendicular to it rather than trying to pull it apart lengthwise, and it has Nylox nuts on it so the accuracy of the torque setting is probably less critical.
The problem here is that we don't know the grade of that bolt unless your supplier can tell you. It's probably safe to say it's at least a 10.9 from the factory but it's better to know for sure
Personally I wouldn't apply 95 ft-lbs unless your supplier assures you it is a 12.9 bolt and 95 is the correct amount. 85 sounds better to me. https://www.sbmar.com/articles/metric-bolt-torque-specifications/

Jim