[DeTomaso] Pantera Aviad pan

richard boschert theemonkey at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 20 16:28:36 EDT 2024

 Asa,
The 7 quart slightly high reading was after running the engine filling the filter.
I built/assembled  the motor.I was on a lightening kick for awhile on the car so its pretty much as light as possible.Its a Ford Racing short block using an aluminum Boss block.AFR heads,Victor Jr. intake,roller cam 595 lift,110 lobe center 254 duration @.50,316 advertised duration.11.4 to 1 compression.Aluminum flywheel etc. attached is a pic while buing built.

A few interesting things.Because of the aluminum block and heads i had to run a lot more compression.Timing is 22 degrees base with a total of 38 degrees.Runs great on 91 octane.Does not like timing below 20 degrees at all,even at idle.
Motor is a beast.I had a 408 Windsor stroker before that was pretty strong and this stomps it,hard!Its not just the extra 20 cubic inches,bigger heads or cam as i sized those those slightly larger than the 408.Its the compression that upped the power so much.408 was 9.5 to 1.The only drawback to the compression increase is this engine is significantly louder,with a lot more push out the exhaust.With the 180 headers i can clean streets of debris.  : )