[DeTomaso] Ignition switch

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Mon Apr 8 20:12:19 EDT 2024

All,

The electrical switch portion does have the spring back from start function as part of its action, but the key being stuck is a problem internal to the lock mechanism.

Common solution is spraying WD-40, but that is the wrong common solution. Use powdered graphite, or an aerosol can of lubricant called Houdini. WD-40 is a petroleum product and does a good job of lubricating, but also does a fine job of collecting every little bit of dirt that it comes in contact with. If you have already gummed up the poor thing with years of WD-40, flushing it with aerosol Houdini would be my first plan of attack. If you’re feeling adventuresome, you could remove the entire assembly, and be better able to clean it with a solvent and air pressure, followed by proper lubrication

Grime is not your friend when we’re talking about a sticky lock cylinder.

As for the electrical portions, I do have some new old stock and good used examples available at this time.

Larry