[DeTomaso] LA LA LAND doing good. NPC NPC NPC

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sat May 20 01:41:24 EDT 2023

I suggest that more horsepower- more cylinder pressure- is about the last thing a thinwall block like the 351-C (and the 351-W) wants. Sleeved blocks like they used on so-called stock 351-Cs for racing back in the '70s would be OK. But not our stockers. I once had a slight carb backfire (cold engine) in the staging lanes of a track, and that blew a piece of cylinder wall out the size of a half dollar. I still have it around somewhere: it was 0.072" thick at its thinnest point. Chev guys get nervous when the cylinder walls get down below 0.200", and no Cleveland ever built had such thick walls.