[DeTomaso] Doorhandle problem

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Sun May 14 15:07:19 EDT 2023

Chris,

P.I.M. does have a replacement bucket with a replacement pivot shaft as described by MIKE THOMAS.

To remove door handle you will need to detach a link rod connected to the handle with a plastic component. Be very careful with that plastic.

You will need to transfer the lock portion of the handle to the new bucket.

To do this, you will need to remove the gray pot metal piece that has the ball.  That will require driving out the small black pin that holds it to the lock assembly. Then you can remove the lock assembly from your old bucket, place in replacement bucket, and reinstall the gray pot metal piece and it’s retaining pin.

TAKE PHOTOS OF EVERYTHING prior to, and during the disassembly process. Take note of the orientation of the key slot as it resides in the bucket.

Pay special attention to the orientation of the gray pot metal piece. And if you do wind up needing to do both left and right hand buckets, be aware there are subtle differences between the two sides.

On a sidenote, if you have door locks that require different keys, now would be the time to get things re-keyed to a single key, which should operate both doors and the trunk. If you need to re-key the locks, that is something I can do for you.

Larry