[DeTomaso] Help!-Car stumbles, power loss---occasionally!

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Fri May 12 12:10:48 EDT 2023

The '73-up fuel gauge sender is specific to the stock Pantera fuel tank so only Pantera vendors carry them. Wilkinson and Larry Stock both have them in-stock. Other vendors buy theirs from those two. Not sure about pricing- not the type of thing you buy very often but they're listed on their web sites. Yes- you DO need to remove the window and frame for fuel tank access. But since its not bolted in, its not much trouble to just pull it out.
If you install the big 'elephant-ear' air scoops on the rear side window, and actually go fast enough for them to reverse the natural air flow outward (around150mph) you may find the scoops pull the whole window & frame out of the car at speed! This has happened at Silver State events. Many of us pull the window and frame once, remove the glass and put only the chrome frame back. No effect on speed and from 10 ft away it looks stock. Also makes cleaning the back window much easier.
Occasionally, a Pantera has its cosmetic 'gills' overlapping the window frame and the gills are bolted in with studs and wing-nuts that are semi-hidden.But you'll find all three if only by feel.