[DeTomaso] Help!-Car stumbles, power loss---occasionally!

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Thu May 11 16:25:54 EDT 2023

My fix was real simple, once I figured out I had a fuel issue.

I plumbed a 90-degree pipe/AN fitting to the bottom of the tank.  Others have pooh-poohed this citing, “you’ll poke your eye out” wait…, that was The Christmas Story.  It was more like, “it’s dangerous – you could catch something on the road, and rip the bottom of your tank out – or something like that.”  If you saw it, you’d say otherwise.  The 90-deg fitting puts the fuel line very close to the bottom of the tank – which rests on top of the frame rails, so the fuel line is 2-3” higher than the lowest part of the car.  If I were really worried, I could make a small sheet metal plate to cover the area, but it really isn’t bad.

If I had my engine out, I’d go with a full stainless tank, and probably with an internal electric fuel pump, but I don’t plan on removing my engine anytime soon.

I use a very large screen fuel filter before the fuel pump that I clean out every 3-4 years.  When I do, I can dump about a ¼ shot glass of rust dust from the filter.