[DeTomaso] Time for coolant flush

Larry Stock larrys at panteraparts.com
Fri Mar 3 13:00:27 EST 2023

We keep the No-Rosion and the combined water wetter/NoRosion version called Hypercool products in stock.
Larry Stock

On 3/3/23, 9:22 AM, "DeTomaso on behalf of Doug Braun" <detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com <mailto:detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com> on behalf of doug351c at gmail.com <mailto:doug351c at gmail.com>> wrote:

Jim,

For cars like ours that get little use compared to a daily driver, a good way to know if your coolant is nearing its end of life is to check its voltage. This voltage test is especially important if your coolant is over 6 years old and you're running an aluminum radiator. This is because the radiator's aluminum starts to corrode from electrolysis at a faster and faster rate as the coolant ages and its corrosion inhibitors wear out.

If your voltmeter has manual scale switching, switch to a scale between 1V and 12V max reading (disregard if your meter is auto ranging).
Remove the coolant pressure bottle's cap.
Add coolant if the level is low in the bottle.
Start the engine.
Wait until you feel the side of the pressure bottle starting to get warm (meaning that the thermostat has opened).
Have a helper rev the engine to 2000 rpm.
Insert the meter's positive probe into the coolant tank and connect the negative probe to a good ground on the car. Don't let the positive probe touch the inside wall of the tank, only the coolant. If your reading exceeds 0.250 V, it's time to change the coolant. Typically new coolant will measure under 10 millivolts i.e. < 0.010 V.
Shut the engine off as soon as you get your reading or you may end up with coolant all over the floor.
After you shut the engine off, use this opportunity to further top off the coolant in the tank.

If you get a bad reading, you still don't necessarily need to replace the coolant. You can do as Julian suggests and add the "No-Rosion" product or a zinc plug and rerun the test.

If you do end up replacing the coolant, I like to add a bottle of Red-Line water wetter.
I also use 1/3rd anti-freeze and 2/3rds water since, as Julian says, water provides better cooling than anti-freeze.
This mixture will only freeze if the temperature gets below 0 degrees F. I'll never be driving my Pantera when its gets this cold and my garage never gets below 30 degrees F.

Doug Braun
Soon to be blue again, #5505