[DeTomaso] Removing Pilot Bearing - Partial Victory and Update

Forest Goodhart forestg at att.net
Tue Jul 25 19:37:34 EDT 2023

 An oxyacetylene cutting torch will get that out in nothing flat
    On Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 01:21:33 PM PDT, Mike & Elizabeth <mbefthomas2 at gmail.com> wrote:

 Well, I was able to get the bearing puller into my pilot bearing and with the slide hammer, managed to pull the center of the bearing out, but the race is still firmly planted.  I've tried to remove the race with the puller but it keeps popping out and is scoring inside of the race and rounding the inner edge where I'm trying to get it to hold on.  There is such a narrow lip on the race on the inside, the puller just deflects enough to let go and ends up rounding the edge and scoring the inside of the barrel.

Not sure what to do at this point.  If I need to file the inner edge of the puller to give it a flat grip on the inner lip, I'll have to buy my own.  Trying to drill it out would take multiple large and I'm sure very expensive bit to drill the hardened steel as the hole is now 0.92".  I could try threading with a 18/16" tap but as said in a previous response very difficult with in the hardened steel.

In the meantime I'm continuing to flood both ends of the race with penetrating oil in hopes that will help get it free, but I'm afraid I may have used up my bearing puller chances.

Concerned in Covington: