[DeTomaso] ZF shifting problem

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Mon Sep 12 19:39:23 EDT 2022

That is a poor choice for the gear oil. If you look at the label you'll see it says "safe for limited slip diffs" and "good for hypoid drives." There are no hypoid gearsets in a ZF, and ingredients that make is slippery enough for hypoids make it too slippery for the synchro rings in the ZF, so they'll wear out fast.
I use Red Line 75W-90 NS, which is less slippery, so the synchros work better.If you feel the limited slip clutches grabbing when you make a sharp turn you can add a little bit of their stuff to make it a little slipperier.
I think Jack has posted that the ZF has a differently limited slip system than domestic cars, too, so the common gear oils you find for sale are doubly unsuited
But the wrong gear oil won't cause the incomplete clutch release symptoms you are describing. Either a too-thick disc or the clutch release arm not fully extending would do that.
Jim