[DeTomaso] SHOCKING QUESTION......

Mike Drew mikeldrew at aol.com
Sat Oct 29 19:13:51 EDT 2022

Trip,

Ariston and Koni shocks are nominally identical and work the same way. Adjusting them is a PIA but it works.

First you have to dismantle the assemblies and remove the springs. The procedures for that are in your shop manual.

TSB #2 has an article detailing the procedure for adjusting the shocks. You could look it up on the POCA website but I will save you the trouble:

Here is the world’s shortest video showing internally what is happening when you perform the adjustments, both mechanically (on the left) and also the damping curve (on the right).

https://youtu.be/c4nYQRYKZnE

From a practical perspective, the first thing I would do is compress and expand each shock to determine what their current damping characteristics are. Hopefully they are all still functional.

Assuming they are, then follow the procedure above. Turn them fully counterclockwise (to the left when viewed from above), counting the turns, until they stop (full soft). Then turn clockwise then same number of turns to arrive at the original position, and then some more to make them stiffer. How much more? Well, you get to decide that. I think there are about five half-turns (2.5 full rotations) from full soft to full stiff.

Full stiff is almost assuredly too stiff, but again, you get to judge that on your own.

The front and rear shocks look identical but in fact are different internally, so keep them segregated. I suggest working in pairs, adjusting only the fronts before starting to work on the rears (or vice versa).

You may well find that the front shocks are relatively stiffer or softer than the rears, i.e. it might be 4 half turns to full soft for the fronts and only 2 half turns for the rear. Or whatever. You have no idea how they were originally set up.

It will take a very long time to perform all these adjustments and reassemble everything. Then you get to test and see how you like it, and repeat as necessary.  The good news is, once you are happy you will never have to touch them again.

Now you know what you will be doing for the next several weeks!

Mike

Sent from my iPad